Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Everybody's Talkin'

Craig Wilson, of USA Today, wrote in his weekly column "The Final Word", today about the proliferation of cell phones. It was a cute article, and since we are about the same age, and from the same hometown(Rochester,NY), I related well to him. One problem, Craig, you never really talked about the main point. What the hell is everybody talking about?
Now I admit, that I am somewhat older, than the average cell phone user; but I can't imagine that they could find so much to talk about. It is mind numbing. I have 700 minutes, on my cell phone. I never use them all. I think that cell phones are great, they certainly make life a lot easier, but unless you're in sales, most people are just talking too much. Now a days it is a rarity to pass another motortist, and not see them talking or even texting (gasp! I've seen it!) while they are supposedly driving.
MIKE'S LAW: 1) If you have nothing to say, shut up. 2) If you don't know what you are talking about, shut up.
I live by both of those laws, and I wish more people would. It's not just cell phones, there are certainly enough people out there, that don't need them. You know as soon as they walk in the room, because they come in yapping away, and don't stop until they leave. They pontificate about anything and everything as if they wrote the encyclopedia. I recognize that these people just love to hear themselves talk. If you are one of these people, please refer to law #2.
We have one at work. He really isn't a bad guy, but boy does he love to hear himself talk. You know when he's coming in the break room, because you can hear him coming down the hall. And boy does he know it all! Like I said, he really isn't a bad guy, but I wish he were, because I really want to hate him.
The way I see it, there's a lot of people talking, but they aren't saying much.

No comments: