Thursday, August 12, 2010

Mr. Nice Guy



I have one motto, "Nice guys finish first (except in football)". It is not much of a motto, but I do try to live it. I have taught my son, "It doesn't cost you anything to be nice to someone", and it is true. How can it be that something so easy to do, and so cheap to execute, be so positive?

That is easy to answer if you happen to be the recipient of someone being nice to you. Having someone do you a good deed or a kind gesture can make your whole day if you are on the receiving end. If a total stranger can make your day by being nice, think how many people's lives you could positively affect just by being nice to them. The thought literally boggles the mind.

If each and every one of us performed just one good deed per day, like the Boy Scouts try to do, it would change the world. Tensions between people would be slashed, blood pressures would drop. People would relax and enjoy life for the blessing it truly is.

Is it really all that easy? Well, yes, and no. The concept of it is easy to grasp, but the practice is not so easy. In order to be nice to someone, you actually have to be able to think outside your personal bubble. You have to come out of your shell, and be aware of the other people around you.

Lately this is getting harder and harder to do, everyone has a cell phone, i-pod, or P.D.A., etc. occupying their attention. It is very easy to get wrapped up in yourself, and not notice other people.

It really is easy to be a nice guy. In the course of a normal day there are many times when you can be nice to someone if you are on the look out. Just try not to get too wrapped up in yourself, your worries, and problems.

All it takes to make some one's day is to hold a door, smile and say good morning when you pass someone, offer the use of your cell phone for someone stranded on the side of the road; the possibilities are endless. All it takes is for you to be aware of other people, and to do something nice when the situation allows it.

There is something strange about being nice to people, it spreads.

4 comments:

middle child said...

Being nice is automatic with me. The hard part is that while I am like this,..I don't get why it bugs me when people don't acknowledge my nice-ness. Being nice usually occurs before I can even think to BE nice. It's just weird how I feel about that.
One the other hand, when someone is nice to me, I am startled to the point of being blown away by it!

Mike's Common Sense said...

Hi Middle Child! I am also the middle kid. Some people are so wrapped up in themselves that they don't even notice when someone has been nice to them. This is no reflection on you. Just be nice for the sake of being nice.

The Queen said...

I try to live by this. I try to do one or two random acts of kindness a day. It may be waiting for an elderly person and holding the door for them.. or it may be helping a young mother with kids get them all rounded up and in the cart at the store.

Old people are amazed when someone of even my generation helps them for no reason. If someone my daughter's age does it, I swear it totally freaks em out. They just are not use to it.

I try to be kind, it counteracts my rants to evil people. I pray everyday that God gives me the strength not to slap an idiot.

and so, I do random acts to help me get more marks on my side than on satan's.

Mike's Common Sense said...

Hi Queen, none of us are perfect, but if you do the best you can to help others when you can, it all will at least even out.