Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Kreskin's ESP Kit, Part 1

This is the first part of a trilogy of true stories. Take them as you will.

Back in the mid-sixties, a guy named Kreskin was very popular. He would go on all the popular talk shows and do feats of ESP. My dad said he was a quack, but I was much more open-minded about it than he. I was, in fact, intrigued with Mr. Kreskin. My feelings were, if ESP is real, why not develop it? I had nothing to base these feelings on, other than a child's naivete.

Then, Christmas of 1965, my dad bought a "family" Christmas present. It was a Kreskin's ESP Kit. In this kit there were probably seven, or eight different ways to test your ESP. The pendulum was the most popular; everyone could make it swing by concentrating on it. That was cool, but then my dad pulled out a deck of cards from the box.

Since all the other kids were off playing with their other presents, and I was the only one near him (fooling around with the pendulum), he called me over. He read the instructions and said, "I'm supposed to look at a card, and send it to you mentally. You try to receive it." I said, "OK, let's try."

He took a card, looked at it, then said, "Here goes nothing." I could see he was really trying to send me the image, so I decided I was really going to try and get it. I closed my eyes real tight.

You know how when you close your eyes really tight, you see little squiggly things? Well, I saw thousands of squiggly things. All of a sudden, all the squiggly things formed a whirlpool, spinning around, until they formed a perfect heart! My jaw dropped to the floor. "It's a heart!", I blurted out. My dad (a little taken aback) said, "You're right; how did you know?" I said, "Dad, I saw it!"

I think my dad laughed it off, but that moment changed my life. From that moment on, I "knew" ESP was real. At the tender age of ten, I then bought any book on ESP and occult I could get my hands on. I had a small library of occult books by the time I turned 17.

At that time I was very interested in astral projection. However, in 1972, there were very few "how-to" books on astral projection. One day at Walden books, while looking through the occult section (now called New Age) I found a book entitled, "Eckankar, Key to Secret Worlds" by Paul Twitchell. In this book Mr. Twitchell talked of "soul travel". I, of course, equated soul travel with astral projection and bought the book immediately.

This, once again, changed my life forever.

Part 2
Part 3
.

1 comment:

Christine Ritter said...

I am very interested in the unexplainable, such as astral projection, ESP. I have many metaphysical books and literature. I even took a class on metaphysics. I have spent many hours in the " New Age" section of book stores and the library.