Saturday, October 14, 2017

The Price of Being Nice

I don't really care for commercials. I normally fast forward through them if I'm watching on TIVO. But there is one set of commercials I will watch.
Ever see the ads for Liberty Mutual where one person does a good deed, and is seen by someone else? Who then does something nice for someone else, which is witnessed by a different person? This cycle is repeated until someone does something nice to the original good-doer, completing a circle of good deeds.
Now, most commercials insult my intelligence, but this one is actually teaching us a lesson with value. I tell my son (who is a bit of a grouch), "it doesn't cost anything to be nice to someone".
It's true. Most of the time you will not even have to go out of your way to be nice to someone. If you pay attention, you will notice numerous times in the course of a day, where you can. However, most people are too wrapped up in themselves to notice other people. Everyone today is either talking on a cell phone, or listening to their i-pods; off in their own little worlds. But even these space cadets notice when you do something nice for them.
You should see the looks I get from some people, by just holding a door for them, and saying, "good morning"! They are shocked, but they like it. Let's face it, everyone likes to be treated with respect, like a person, not just another face. And it doesn't cost a thing to lift someone's day.
Let's all try to create a circle of good deeds everyday.

No comments: