Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Karaoke Kid


I don't go out much, I pretty much like to hang out on my back porch, drink beer, sip bourbon, smoke cigars, and watch my favorite sports shows on Tivo. You might think that I live a quiet, boring life, but I am plenty happy to just relax when I'm not at work.
However every two weeks I like to get out, kick back a few beers, and belt out a few songs. I like to sing karaoke. I'm not claiming to be a great singer, but unlike many karaoke singers, I can carry a tune.
I used to sing a lot when I was younger and in school. I even was told many times that I looked like Peter Tork of the Monkees. It gives you some idea of how OLD I am, and the songs I sing are pretty much oldies, because I am familiar with them.
There is nothing quite like the adrenaline rush you get, when you can go up in front of a bunch strangers, and just ace the song you are doing.
Bombing, however, is another story. Bombing a song is a very distinct possibility anytime you try out a new song for the first time. There is no rehearsal time, no advance on the key, just sing!
Since I abhor to do the same songs all the time, I put myself at risk quite a bit. Nothing ventured... I remember that I really wanted to try "Unchain My Heart" by Joe Cocker. I was so afraid of ruining that song, that it took 2 months and 3 shots of tequila, to get me to try it. It was a natural song for me, and now I still sing it from time to time, because it is really a fun song to do.
That's the thing that keeps me coming back, singing is fun. One night every two weeks, I go out and have a few drinks,(I have a designated driver) and sing as if I know how to. What fun!

No comments: