Saturday, February 21, 2009

Crossroads Blues

The crossroads has always been a metaphor for a change in one’s life. In Robert Frost’s poem “The Road Less Traveled”, it stands for a choice of which road one will take in his life. In Robert Johnson’s song “Crossroads Blues” (later redone by Cream as “Crossroads”), the crossroads was where you met the devil to make a deal to realize your dreams. In either case, the crossroads was an important part of one’s life.

In the course of a lifetime, we all encounter a crossroads at least once or twice. The question always arises, how will I make my choice? Which road shall I take? How did I arrive here? Where do I want to go? Shall I make a deal with the devil?

When at the crossroads, there are no easy decisions. Often, we don’t know how we got there, or where we really want to go. The only thing we know, is that we have to make a choice.

Unfortunately, when facing the crossroads of our lives, there is no yellow brick road to show the way. The only guide we have to follow, is our heart. We trust that guide, and we make our choice, then let the cards fall where they may.

Sometimes our choice leads us to ruin, sometimes, another crossroads; and sometimes it leads us to Emerald City. Where ever the road we choose leads us, we persevere, and we walk that road. This is the road of life, and where it leads; no one knows until the day he dies.

It is awfully lonesome, when one is at the crossroads.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We make choises almost everyday of our lives that can change our futures. I'm marvel at the crossroads that led me to where I am today. The maze of life is truely amazing. Someday we will have to share our many crossroad choises over a pitcher or two.
SJM

Anonymous said...

Yeh - I'm at one of those right now. To choose, or not to choose... Do we just hold our nose and dive in? Or is this a wading situation? And no blueprint to read. Damn!
Great writing Muley.