Monday, November 17, 2008

Bad Intentions

I love American football. I also love Australian Rules football, but that's another subject.

Today I want to tell you why I love football (American style). I played when I was younger, and there is no adrenaline rush quite like it. Running around, causing mayhem on defense, giving out punishing blows when on offense, and otherwise throwing your body around for the sake of the team.

My dad taught me young, "Play with bad intentions; football is no place for nice guys." And that is what's so cool about football. There are two teams, each with eleven guys who are trying to knock the snot out of each other. Sure, there are rules that prohibit some actions, but believe me, you can really do some punishing within the rules.

Since everyone is trying to lambaste someone else, sooner or later you will end up the lambastee. Not as much fun as being the lambaster. But that's football and that's why it's so great. Each guy knows he will either be the punisher, or get punished, each snap of the ball. This is not for sissies, or soccer players. It takes wackos to play football. No truly sane individuals will do this to themselves. But, if you are just wacky enough, there is nothing like it.

Nowadays, I am an old fart who coaches pro and college games from an easy chair on the porch. Well, I act like I'm coaching, yelling out instructions to my team on every snap. I am intense, I tell ya...I have to keep a six-pack in my fridge just so I don't lose my voice! I gotta learn to lighten up.

This weekend my Raiders lost AGAIN, for the 8th time in 10 games.

Right now, I have some very bad intentions for my TV.

1 comment:

Christine Ritter said...

You are starting to sound hoarse from all your backseat coaching. LOL.........Better grab an icy cold beer, while your at it grab me one, too, will ya? GO BUCKS !