Thursday, April 25, 2013

On the Bright Side Of the Road


It’s finally here! I have been waiting for this day for a long time. Is it my anniversary? No. Is it my birthday? No. Is it the anniversary of my first divorce? Close, but no. Tomorrow is the N.F.L. draft. This is like Christmas in April every year for me, and other deranged draft-niks.

Believe it or not I have been preparing for tomorrow since late December. After the NFL Super Bowl ended, I have been concentrating even more on the draft.

Why do I do this?  I don't know. But my wife learned very early in our relationship not to bother me on draft weekend. She has conveniently scheduled herself to work this week end. Good girl!

I can't help it. You see there has been NO football since the Super bowl, and I need a fix on football so bad it would make Amy Winehouse blush.

I have bought three or four of the top draft publications, and I have been watching “Path to the Draft” on the NFL Network every night (sometimes twice!) to prepare for the draft. This last week I have doubled my draft watching, as I prepare for this draft weekend..

At this point you might be asking yourself “Is he a football personnel guy?”  No.  “Is he a team General Manager?”  No.

 I simply need to get myself ready to help my team (The Oakland Raiders) put together a good draft. It’s not like they are going to call me and consult me on which player they should take; but I wish they would, because I would have the answer for them. Instead I am just going to sit in front of my TV for two days, drink beer, and wear my Raider’s hat proudly as I watch my team pick the guys who are going to take us to the Super Bowl this year. (Right!) This year I’m walking the path to the draft, and the Raider’s are on the bright side of that road.

I do know that I am a geek, and that most of you folks think I am a few bricks short of a full load. You are right. I just want to tell you that I am not alone. NFL Draft day is the highest rated day of the year for ESPN, and every year it gets bigger.

If it keeps getting bigger each year, it won’t be long before we will have NFL games fifty two weeks of the year.

My wife will NOT be happy.

No comments: