Monday, June 21, 2010

Dear Dad

Hi Dad, happy Father's Day. I did not get you a card this year. It's not that I'm cheap (well maybe a little cheap), but I could not find a card that comes close to saying everything I want to say to you. So I figured I would take the time to make my own card right here that would say everything I want to tell you.


Dad, you are my hero and you always have been. When I was young you were the most handsome, the tallest, and the smartest man I knew. In church you were the best singer. I was always proud to say you were my Dad. I spent my young life trying to emulate you, I tried to sing like you, tried to be tough like you, and I tried to show some common sense from time to time.

Dad, you are the standard by which I judge myself, and all other men. 

In my lifetime I have been blessed by God with many fortunate things; however I consider having you and Mom as my parents to be the most fortunate event of my life.


I just want to take the time to say Thank You for everything; all the love you gave me, the wisdom you passed down to me, all the time you spent playing catch, or running around so I could play football, or wrestle; and driving to strange airports to pick me up. Thank you for keeping a roof over all of our heads, and food on our plates for so many years. I owe you and Mom a debt of gratitude that can never be repaid in one lifetime. All I can do is pass the love you gave me onto your grand children.

Even after all of these years, I am still trying to be like you. I love you Dad.

7 comments:

reener said...

Wow, that was touching! It's nice to see you have a close relationship with your dad!

Mike's Common Sense said...

Hi reener! I am indeed very fortunate to have had this man as my father. Maybe blessed is a better word.

The Queen said...

WOW... I can't even smart off about anything here... that sucks..

Can I have your Dad?

Mike's Common Sense said...

Hi Queen! This man will celebrate his 57th anniversary to to same great woman this year. Sorry but will have to look elsewhere, but I know where you are coming from. He is one special guy.

Mike's Common Sense said...

HI Ashley, no need for tears, this is gratitude. Thanks for stopping by.

M said...

this is really sweet, really sweet.

Mike's Common Sense said...

Hi Love217 nice to meet you! Thanks for your nice comment.